Jennifer Phillips's Profile (Edit)
- Name: Jennifer Phillips
- Grad Group: Animal Behavior
- Major Professor: Gail Patricelli
- Department: Evolution and Ecology
- Lab Phone: 530-754-7837
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Site: http://www.eve.ucdavis.edu/gpatricelli/gradstudents.html
- B.A. - Lewis and Clark College - Biology - 2007
- I study why birds are darker in areas of higher humidity (Gloger's Rule). While this pattern was described nearly 150 years ago, we know very little about why this pattern exists. Using a combination of field and museum studies, including observational and experimental approaches, I am examining two potential explanations for this pattern, camouflage and resistance to feather-degrading bacteria.
Research Interest Summary
- Relationship between bird plumage coloration and climate
- McGlothlin, J. W., J. M. Jawor, T. J. Greives, J. M. Casto, J. L. Phillips, and E. D. Ketterson. Hormones and honest signals: males with larger ornaments elevate testosterone more when challenged. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21: 39-48.